Calculated variables are those variables which are created at a later stage by combining the results of the existing variables in the collected data.
For Example: You have collected numeric data for the age of respondents. Now, you wish to group this collected data into age intervals as mentioned below:
- 12 - 18 yrs
- 19 - 25 yrs
- 26 - 35 yrs
- 36 - 45 yrs
- 46 - 55 yrs
- 56 and above
In this scenario you will have to create a calculated variable which will transform the collected numeric data for age in age groups/age intervals mentioned above.
RebusCloud supports the functionality of creating Calculated variables. Follow the below steps to create calculated variables.
- Go to Advanced Data Management Page.
- Click on Calculated Variables.
- A pop-up will appear. Enter calculated variable name and select the variable type. There are 5 variable types available Single Choice, Multiple Choice, Numeric, Text and Date/Time.
- If the variable type is selected as single choice or multiple choice, a field gets added from where you can add your options.
- Click on Add Option.
- Enter analysis label or the age you can say option text. In this case we are considering enter age group 12 - 18.
- Factor will be shown automatically which you can edit if required.
- Enter Calculated variable name in the Mapping Question field if your calculate variable is present in the uploaded data file.
- Enter mapped option code, if the option is present in the data file you have uploaded or will upload in near future.
- Click on Add Option again to add as many options as you want.
- Click on Save Changes.
- Click on Add Q to add another calculated variable.
- The calculated variable will get created and will be visible in the left box present in the pop-up.