Sections are created to logically group a particular set of questions. Questions created in the section can then be randomized.
By default, after creating a new survey, a section with one single choice question is added automatically.
To create a new section, click on ‘Flow Item’, a pop up will appear in which the user can click on ‘Section’ after which a new section is created.
To edit the name of the section, user can click on the section name in left section and then can click on the section name displayed in the middle pane to edit the name.
Section properties can be accessed after clicking on the section name.
Show section name:
Tick on this will display the section name on the top of every page of all the questions existing in that section. The same can be also checked in Preview screen.
- Section: This is a default option and selecting this, will just act as a normal section with no conditions applied.
- Loop Section: Selecting this will open a text box right below the Loop Section radio button, showing two options which helps to choose based on whether the loop needs to be applied basis a Question or a fixed number.
- After clicking on Loop section, ‘Based on’ text-box opens with two options:
- Question: Selecting this will show a drop-down list of all the questions that exists in the upper section. User needs to select the question on which he wants the loop, and basis the response given by the user for that selected question, the questions in the section where loop is applied will run for the same number of times.
Explaining this in more details by giving an example:
There are 2 sections (highlighted in red) created in a survey (section 3 & 4).
User wants to apply the loop on section 3.
Click on section 3 (highlighted in red) and refer section properties (highlighted in green).
Selecting ‘Loop section’ opens ‘Based on’ text box (highlighted in red).
Select Question drop-down will open a list of all the questions of section 4 i.e. the upper section. Select a Question say Q15 (i.e. Multi select question).
Now, basis the response given by the user in Q15 (section 4), the loop will run on Q7 (section 3).
Refer the preview screen where user has given his response for Q15 (section 4).
Refer the preview screen of loop running on Q7 basis the response given in Q15 i.e. this question will be asked two times.
Highlighted refers to the iteration or the loop.
Randomize Loop order: selecting this option will randomize the order in which the iteration is displayed. Considering selecting ‘randomize loop order’ in the above example: Q7.2 will be asked before Q7.1.
Now, discussing about basis what questions does the loop work for?
Loop can be set basis the response in the following question types:
- Single choice
- Multi Select
- Sort into group
- Simple grid
- Numeric grid
- If the user has selected question types i.e. Q1 and Q2 then refer the screenshot where user can just randomize the loop order.
- If user has selected question type Q3 i.e. Numeric type then user can set ‘Max Iterations’ (highlighted in red). Because it’s a numeric type question so by default, it is set to 5.Suppose user answered 50 in the numeric question then obviously the loop will not run 50 times so by default 5 is set however the user can change according to his requirement.
- If user has selected any question type between Q4 and Q8 then user can just select one attribute from the text box displayed next to the question list dropdown (highlighted in red). This dropdown will show the list of all the attributes and basis the response in an attribute, the iterations will be set.
User can also set maximum iterations for all these question types.
- Fixed: User can enter a fixed value and basis the value entered, the questions will be run in loop.
- Group Sequencer: Please refer to section Managing the order in which Questions are shown.